Sitework will officially begin on Wednesday, November 15 resulting in the closure of the playground adjacent to the Beachwood Family Aquatic Center until summer 2024. We look forward to sharing progress updates and a grand opening event with the community next year!
- 2021 - Project discussed at a public meeting revealing over 50% of the equipment is 20 years old and trees were a safety issue
- February 2022 - City administration attended a playground tradeshow in Sandusky
- July 2022 - County grant meeting
- August 2022 - County awards $700,000 project grant
- November 2022 - Playground professionals vetted and included conceptional design options
- January 2023 - Playground survey posted on Facebook and city website
- March 2023 - Playground presentation at Recreation Committee Meeting
- May 2023 - Recreation Committee Meeting
- May 2023 - Playground video rendering and webpage created
- June 12, 2023 - City Council passed Ordinance No. 2023-65 to purchase and install equipment
- August 2023 - $10,000 donation received towards handicap swing
- August 14, 2023 - Motion to advertise for bids for the site work and flower shade structures
- September 7-28, 2023 - Advertised for bidding (Site work and flower shade structures)
- September 20, 2023 - Pre-bid meeting (Site work and flower shade structures)
- October 19, 2023 - Bid opening (Site work and flower shade structures)
- November 6, 2023 - City Council accepted a bid for site work.
- 2023-117 – Council accepted a bid from Mr. Excavator, Inc, for the Playground project. The City of Beachwood received Seven (7) bids including pricing for two (2) alternate design options. Mr. Excavator supplied the lowest bid and was awarded the project in the amount of $1,061,286.82. The bid primarily covers demolition and removal of existing play surfacing and footers, new fencing, concrete walkways, underground conduit, removal and installation of new storm sewers, structures, and underdrains, sitework. The playground equipment was authorized under a previous ordinance.
COMMUNITY PLAYGROUND PROGRESS UPDATE – MAY 17, 2023
The amenities offered by the City of Beachwood are unparalleled in Northeast Ohio. We already have a one-of-a-kind dog park, a fantastic outdoor pool, beautiful tennis courts, miles of picturesque trails, and will soon have new and improved community gardens and dedicated pickleball courts. This community playground should “WOW” us just like all the other amenities, programs and services offered.
Having said that, the City has an obligation to explore options and associated costs to fully understand budget requirements. In order to do so, the City reached out to playground professionals for their expertise – a process started well over one year ago.
As of the May 16, 2023 Recreation Committee meeting, the administration was in a position to share probable costs for specific play equipment, ground surfacing, sitework, fencing, drainage, stormwater management and equipment installation so that an educated decision can be made that balances the cost of these items with an appropriate budget. This is where the hard work begins. The administration and City Council must work together to determine final project costs and budget. All of which will be discussed at the next Committee Meeting.
It should be noted that the selected playground firm is the sole provider of all equipment included in this project. Fortunately, a majority of this equipment is part of a cooperative purchasing program wherein these items have already been competitively bid. A competitive bid package for sitework (stormwater management, demolition fencing, drainage, concrete work etc,) is scheduled to go out to bid in the near future. The City successfully secured a $700,000 grant and a $10,000 donation toward this project.
The administration looks forward to working with City Council to bring this exciting project to our community in 2024. Prepare to be “WOWED.”
COMMUNITY PLAYGROUND PROGRESS UPDATE – MARCH 20, 2023
At the March 20, 2023 Recreation Committee meeting, city administration unveiled an exciting conceptual rendering for the playground adjacent to the Beachwood Family Aquatic Center. The majority of the current playground is more than 15-20 years old, with the newest piece added in 2016.
“It’s time to update the current playground to be better aligned with the other top-notch recreation amenities we have in the city,” says Mayor Justin Berns. “The community deserves to have the premier playground in Northeast Ohio."
The city offered a survey during January 2023 to assure that project plans were aligning with the resident's most desired features.
The current concept includes:
- All new play equipment for all ages and abilities
- Rubber and turf surfacing (no more mulch)
- Fenced in facility with gate access
- A pavilion with picnic tables
- Shade structures located throughout the playground
- New sand play area
- Interactive games
- Zip lines
- ADA accessible features
- Music and art elements
- Many tables and benches located throughout the playground
- Wider walkways
- Play mounds
The project will move to City Council for approval at a later date. The current timeline has completion of the project slated for summer 2024 with demolition of the current playground beginning in late fall/early winter 2023.
The city has received a $700,000 grant from the county towards the estimated cost of $2-$3 million and would be interested in potential sponsorships as well. If you are interested in sponsorship opportunities, please reach out to Derek Schroeder, Community Services Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOLE SOURCE PROVIDER
The playground project is a compilation of many different manufacturers. Midstates Recreation is the exclusive authorized dealer and installer of 8 manufacturers that are included in this project. These include: Earthscape, Berliner, TrekFit, CoverWorx, Pro-Tech Surfacing LLC, cre8play, Goric, and Duffer Hollow Designs. Additionally, all of the PlayWorld pieces of equipment are included on the Sourcewell Contract #010521. Lastly, the flower shade structures that are not included in Sourcewell and are not Exclusively Authorized to Midstates Recreation are currently being competitively bid out. The exclusive agreements between Midstates and the manufacturers of the equipment we approved for this project can be viewed here.
Project Quick Links: YouTube Video
Conceptual Plan Flythrough Video
60 Second Overview Video
Midstates Recreation Project Renderings
March 20 Presentation Video & PowerPoint Slides
May 16 GPD Group Presentation
May 16 Committee Meeting Presentation
May 16 Committee Meeting Video Recording
Exclusive Manufacturer Agreements