Rubbish, Recycling & More
Beachwood’s rubbish and recycling collection program is fully automated. The key to this program are large, easy to move, rolling carts. The City of Beachwood will deliver one free rubbish cart and one free recycling cart to each household. On your rubbish day, our mechanical-armed trucks will pick up and dump the carts curbside. Your rubbish disposal and recycling are part of an automated program, which increases the cleanliness and efficiency of rubbish collection in our city.
The benefits include:
o Easy to load and maneuver carts
o Enhancing the appearance of the City of Beachwood
o Keeping odors and rubbish contained
o No lost pieces; lids are permanently attached
o Providing a safe, convenient, and effective method of rubbish
and recycling collection
o Providing faster collection
o Animals and insects are deterred
Keeping trash in its place is every one’s responsibility. With your help, we can continue to make Beachwood a great place to live. Please note, rubbish and recycling carts need to be placed three feet apart from each other or on either side of the driveway and away from any obstructions. Do not place under any low hanging tree branches. Note: Recyclables will only be picked up if they are contained within a city cart.
Beachwood City Ordinance 660.21 Rubbish Rules (PDF) states that no person shall:
o Place rubbish and recycling carts for collection before 6:00 PM the evening preceding the collection day scheduled by the Director of Public Works, or after 7:30 AM the day of your rubbish collection
o Allow empty containers or other non-collectible rubbish items to remain at the place of collection after 9:00 AM the day after your collection day
o Whoever violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of a fourth degree. Punishment shall be as provided in City Ordinance 698.02 Penalty (PDF)
Additional rubbish and recycling cans are available for purchase.
Cash and/or check only please:
o 96-Gallon Rubbish can: $80.00
o 64-Gallon Recycling can: $70.00
How/where to purchase:
o In person: Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Beachwood Public Works
23355 Mercantile Road
o Mail a *check or money order to:
Beachwood Public Works
23355 Mercantile Road
Beachwood, OH 44122
Once payment is made, Public Works will deliver the can.
* Please be sure the check or enclosed note contains the address that will be receiving the can.
- curbside Recycling
- Special Item Recycling
- Unwanted Catalogs
- Condominium & Apartment Residents
- Business Recycling
Curbside Recycling - What Can I Recycle?
Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District has advised that all residents need to modify types of items placed into the curbside collection carts. Unfortunately, placing items not included on the list of acceptable items could cause an entire truckload to be diverted to a landfill.
Three factors determine whether an item can be recycled or not:
Three Factors Determining Recyclability
Waste Problem Driven by Economics
We do accept the following items:
o Cans- Empty and Rinse
o Glass Bottles and Jars- Empty and Rinse
o Paper and Boxes- Flatten Cardboard
o Plastic Bottles and Jugs- Empty, Rinse and Replace Cap
We do not accept the following items:
o Aerosol cans**
o Aluminum siding
o Automotive parts
o Clothes hangers
o Drinking glasses and mason jars
o Light bulbs
o Metal cookware
o Motor oil**
o Non-alkaline batteries**
o Outdoor plastic furniture
o Paint (Latex)*
o Paint (Oil Base) **
o Plastic bags
o Plastic toys
o PVC piping
o Vinyl siding
o Wax coated boxes
o Window glass
* Latex paint needs to be dried up (solid state) and placed next to rubbish cart with lid removed on collection day.
** Accepted at the Public Works Facility Monday through Friday 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
o Computers, non-alkaline batteries, household hazardous waste, motor oil, and passenger car tires may be dropped off at the Public Works Facility Monday through Friday 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
o Propane tanks (20 grill) may be taken to Blue Rhino for free drop off recycling . Residents can recycle their unwanted 20# grill tanks by writing “RECYCLE” on the tank and taking it to any Blue Rhino location. Blue Rhino will accept any standard 20# grill tank for recycling, including non-Rhino brands.
o CFL(Compact Fluorescent Lamps) may be dropped at Lowe’s and Home Depot Stores. Additional CFL Use and Disposal Information.
o Books can be dropped off at the Cuyahoga County Public Library or the recycle bin located at the Beachwood Community Center (hard covers removed or paperback), Monday through Friday 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Hard cover books can also be taken to a Paper Retriever bin.
o TVs (smaller than 32-inch). ink & toner, computer equipment & tablets, and some appliances may be dropped of at Best Buy stores. Detailed information is available here or you can call the store for additional information.
Call the Public Works Department at 216-292-1922 with any questions or concerns. If you call during non-business hours, please leave us a detailed message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. You may also send us an email.
For Additional Recycling Information, visit the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District
Reduce Your Unwanted Catalogs
Over eight million tons of trees are consumed each year in the production of paper catalogs. There is a free service allowing you to reduce the stream of unwanted catalogs flowing into your home. Catalog Choice allows you to opt out of catalogs, coupons, credit card offers, phone books, circulars and more.
You’ll need the catalog customer number (printed near the name/address field on the back of the catalog). This process is much simpler than telephoning requests to stop and the site maintains a record of catalogs you’ve eliminated.
Businesses should contact the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District Business Recycling Specialist, Doreen Schreiber at 216 443-3732 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cuyahoga Recycles:Business Services has additional recycling information for businesses.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- President’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day - Rubbish will be picked up on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Leaves, Brush and Yard Debris
For the Fall, loose leaf removal begins Monday, September 25, 2023 and runs through mid-December (weather permitting). Spring loose removal is scheduled to run during the month of April.
Loose Leaf Removal: Leaves need to be raked into piles on the tree lawn (not in streets or on sidewalks). Leaf piles need to be free of other debris such as grass, twigs or branches or they will not be removed as it will damage the collection equipment. Cars and/or other vehicles parked in the street will impede the City’s ability to collect leaf piles.
Bagged Leaf Removal (outside of the Fall & Spring dates listed at top): When the loose leaf pick up program is not operational, leaves need to be bagged. Leaf bags should be placed on the tree lawn on your rubbish day for pick up.
- The Public Works Department offers one (1) brush pickup per week. Brush to be picked up by the City shall be placed on the tree lawn after 6:00 PM the evening preceding (before) your rubbish collection day. These rules are governed under City Ordinance 660.21 and punishment shall be provided in City Ordinance 698.02 Penalty (PDF). The brush crew runs a set route of the City. Special requests for pickups are not guaranteed, so please coordinate brush waste accordingly
- Branches/limbs should be a maximum of 6 feet in length
- Logs should be a maximum of 3 feet long and a maximum of 35 pounds
- Make piles manageable (not too high, divide if necessary)
- Piles should be at least a few feet away from stationary objects (fire hydrants, mailboxes, trees, road signs, fences, telephone poles or support wires that run from pole to ground). Brush piles are removed by hand or the use of a front end loader, so please place brush as close to the street as possible. Piles should be neatly stacked parallel to the street on the tree lawn or close to curb (for safety reasons, please make sure nothing is in the roadway)
- Separate piles for logs and limbs/brush
- Please do not place brush pile on a tarp
- Brush piles should be free of any other debris (no ornamental grass – separate pile, building material, no garbage or compost, grass clippings or loose leaves)
- Please do not place brush on loose leaf piles or too close to other bagged yard debris
- The above tips help ensure your brush is removed in a timely manner without property damage
- TOGETHER we can keep Beachwood beautiful and brush free! @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Oil or solvent-based paint, sealers, primers or coatings (aerosol or liquids)
- Aerosol Cans with flammable/combustible warnings
- Varnishes, polyurethanes and shellacs
- Paint thinner, mineral spirits, turpentine, acetone
- Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and fertilizers
- Caustic household cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Automotive fluids, motor oil, car batteries
- Adhesives, roof tar, driveway sealer
- Kerosene, gasoline, lighter fluid
- Mercury/Mercury containing items (thermometers, thermostats, etc.)
- Any other household chemical marked Poisonous, Caustic, Flammable, Corrosive or Combustible
- Long, Mercury, fluorescent bulbs (6 ft. length max)
- (Take all compact fluorescent bulbs to Lowe's, Home Depot, or Batteries plus Bulbs)
- Lithium and Nickel Cadmium batteries (alkaline can be placed in with regular rubbish)
- NOT ACCEPTED HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
- Latex paint
- Explosives, gun powder, ammunition, flares & fireworks
- Smoke detectors
- Medical waste, medicine, sharps
- Radioactive waste (i.e. smoke detectors)
- Tires (removed from the rim)
- Business waste (residential waste only)
- The following can be placed in with regular rubbish
- Alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable) are non-hazardous and should be placed in the regular rubbish.
- Latex paint is not a hazardous material (when it is in the dried out solid state) so it is not accepted in this program. Residents must dry out latex paint and dispose of it on the rubbish day. The cans must be placed next to the trash cart with the lids off so the collection crew can verify it is solid. See the Solid Waste District’s instructional video about drying out latex paint: Cuyahoga Recycles: Dry out Latex Paint @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- There is a Medication Drop Box in the second floor lobby of the Beachwood Police Department at 2700 Richmond Road; this box is available between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM. This Drop Box is only for pills: no liquids or sharps, please.
- Until your medicine can be properly disposed of, keep it out of reach of children and animals.
Steps to Safe and Proper Disposal of Unwanted Pills or Liquid Medicine (if not taken to the Police Lobby Drop-box)
- Remove all personal information from the packaging
- Make the medicine unusable (place pills or liquid in a zip lock bag with clumping cat litter or flour. Add water and knead the bag until well combined)
- Secure zip lock bag with strong tape
- Place in the rubbish can for disposal
How to Safely Dispose of Sharps (needles)
- Place sharps in a thick plastic container with a lid such as a liquid detergent bottle
- Once sharps are placed inside of the thick plastic container, the lid should be placed on securely then sealed with tape
- Place sealed container in rubbish can for disposal @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
|WHAT||TIME OF YEAR||WHEN||TIMES||WHERE|
|Batteries - Lithium (non-alkaline)||Year Round||Mon. to Fri.||7:30 AM - 3:30 PM||Public Works|
|Computers & Computer Equipment||Year Round||Mon. to Fri.||7:30 AM - 3:30 PM||Public Works|
|Campaign Sign Recycling||See Event calendar for collection info|
|Holiday Light Collection||See Event calendar for collection info|
|Scrap Tire collection
Removed from rim
|Year Round||Mon. to Fri.||7:30 AM - 3:30 PM||Public Works|
|Used Motor Oil||Year Round||Mon. to Fri.||7:30 AM - 3:30 PM||Public Works|
|Shred Day||See Event calendar for days & times||Community Center|